The West Midlands Growth Company plays a pivotal role in driving the sustainable growth of the West Midlands. This is a unique opportunity to work for the region's strategic tourism agency, as it leverages the economic opportunities and global profile created by the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games to attract visitors and spend, supporting our regional visitor economy sector.
The Tourism Industry Lead will take a leading role in the management of two contracts. The first is a high-profile training provider to train and prepare staff in customer-facing businesses to be first-class ambassadors and provide a high-quality welcome to many visitors we expect to attract from across the UK and the Commonwealth. The second is with a delivery partner who will be providing a team of visitor information staff across the region to staff pop up visitor information points. Throughout these contracts, success will be dependent on excellent relationships with industry partners, destination managers and stakeholders to align our services.
- Project management for the Business and Tourism Programme Business Readiness and Mobile Visitor Information Point work packages
- Management of the relationships and contracts with the successful service providers and destinations
- Budget Management for these work packages, including, where necessary, procuring additional services to support the delivery of each project and working alongside the contracted service where necessary to manage project-specific deliverables
- Providing regular reporting to the Head of Tourism and BATP Tourism Working Group on programme delivery, key milestones and outputs and recording evidence of success as required by key partners
- Build strong cross-functional relationships to ensure a collaborative approach and drive for combined programme activity
- Close work with internal teams to achieve successful outcomes in the following areas: marketing and communications, research, monitoring and evaluation, social value, and sustainability
- Support the wider tourism team in ensuring that the programme complements and supports other core tourism activities within the business.
- Professional qualification, relevant degree, or equivalent experience
- First-class project and contract management skills (relating to training and workshop delivery would be advantageous)
- Experience of managing customer service roles in a tourism or service sector-related environment
- Excellent practical communication skills
- Relationship-building and management skills
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects, self-motivated and deadline-driven
- Self-starter and able to work on own initiative
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to produce creative solutions
Please note, this role is permanent and fully funded until March 2023, with hybrid working options available.