Senior Metallurgist / Mechanical Engineer - South Birmingham / Redditch - Engineering
We currently have an opportunity for a Senior Metallurgist / Mechanical Engineer to join and expand the technical team for a Redditch based, leading Aerospace and Defence forge, heat treater and machinist. This leadership role in an ISO 17025 and Nadcap accredited laboratory team will require daily support for and interaction with the wider business operations, engineering, quality and planning teams. It requires a strong will, determined attitude, and an ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
The Senior Metallurgist / Mechanical Engineer will be furnished with the authority and resources to perform the duties within the scope of their responsibilities within the Laboratory structure. This includes implementing, maintaining and improving the management system. Any departures from this system or the testing and calibration procedures will be identified and actions to prevent or minimise these occurrences will be initiated, managed and resolved.
The Senior Metallurgist / Mechanical Engineer will be accountable for the flow down of internal and external material and material process related requirements and will contribute to Methods of Manufacture for products processed on-site with respect to metallurgical and other designated "special process" aspects. They will ensure that the company's quality management and production systems are implemented and maintained and will provide technical knowledge to develop the materials engineering capabilities of the site.
This role is free from any undue internal and external commercial, financial, production and other pressures and influences that may adversely affect the decision-making process.
Main responsibilities of the Senior Metallurgist /Mechanical Engineer
- Manage areas of the laboratory team of circa 13 heads and operating budget of £500k
- Update and control of the Laboratory Manual and Laboratory Instructions aligned to respective areas of delegated responsibility.
- Promote improvements to existing Laboratory processes and facilities.
- To uphold the responsibilities of and ensure conformance by all Metallurgists and Technicians to all specifications, manuals, procedures, and instructions related to the Laboratory function.
- Control of test non-conformances and carrying out investigations into test failures.
- Co-ordinate with other departments to ensure that the best quality of service is maintained to our customers and the rest of the business.
- Provide technical input to forging design and heat treatment of New and Repeat Product Introductions.
- Present technical information to senior technical and senior executive colleagues
- To act as a source of advice and training for technicians, junior members of the laboratory and engineering in order to grow and develop technical talents.
- Liaison with internal customers on technical and production matters.
- Assist with specification review and implementation in the laboratory and the wider business.
- Support laboratory and site audit schedule.
- Creation of heat treatment data cards and loading plans.
- Participate and progress personal objectives to aid continuous improvement throughout the business.
- Ensure personnel continue to meet the company's health and safety and environmental requirements.
The Senior Metallurgist will the following required qualifications, experience, and skills:
- Degree in materials science or metallurgy
- Knowledge of steel, titanium and/or aluminium alloy forging/heat treatment
- Good general IT skills and working knowledge of Word, Excel & Outlook
- Health and Safety awareness in a manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of aerospace quality requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Preferred or Optional experience and skills
- Experience using metal forming/forging simulation software (e.g. QForm)
- Knowledge of aerospace manufacturing
- Hardness, conductivity and/or NDT experience
- Chemical processing for aerospace applications knowledge or experience
- Knowledge of tooling material selection for forging applications
- Working towards or achieved Chartered Engineer Status
If you would like to know more about the Senior Metallurgist / Mechanical Engineer role please apply or contact Neil Cayley on 075272578951 or email