£40000.00 - £45000 per annum
2 months ago
We currently have an opportunity for a Senior Metallurgist or Materials Engineer to join a leading Aerospace and Defence forge, heat treater and machinist. This leadership role is within an ISO 17025 and Nadcap accredited laboratory team.
- Manage areas of the laboratory team of circa 20 heads and operating budget
- Update and control of the Laboratory Manual and Laboratory Instructions aligned to respective areas of delegated responsibility.
- Promote improvements to existing Laboratory processes and facilities.
- To uphold the responsibilities of and ensure conformance by all Metallurgists and Technicians to all specifications, manuals, procedures, and instructions related to the Laboratory function.
- Control of test non-conformances and carrying out investigations into test failures.
- Co-ordinate with other departments to ensure that the best quality of service is maintained to our customers and the rest of our business
- Provide technical input to forging design and heat treatment of New and Repeat Product Introductions.
- Present technical information to senior technical and senior executive colleagues
- To act as a source of advice and training for technicians, junior members of the laboratory and engineering in order to grow and develop technical talents.
- Liaison with our customers on technical and production matters.
- Assist with specification review and implementation in the laboratory and the wider business.
- Support laboratory and site audit schedule.
- Creation of heat treatment data cards and loading plans.
- Participate and progress personal objectives to aid continuous improvement throughout the business.
- Ensure personnel continue to meet the company's health and safety and environmental requirements.
Required qualifications, experience, and skills:
- Degree in materials science or metallurgy
- Knowledge of steel, titanium and/or aluminium alloy forging/heat treatment
- Good general IT skills and working knowledge of Word, Excel & Outlook
- Health and Safety awareness in a manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of aerospace quality requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Drive improvement in RFT in laboratory
- Improve forging and heat treatment RFT through materials knowledge input
- Testing and calibrations carried out in accordance with manuals, instructions and procedures with results reported as required.
- Maintain ISO/IEC 17025 and Nadcap MTL accreditation.
- Manage the periodic over check of operators to confirm compliance with Laboratory procedures
- To approve Laboratory and Quality Instructions and procedures associated with technical and metallurgical control of the company's activities.
- To initiate actions to prevent or minimise departures from the requirements of internal and external quality systems and testing procedures.
- To issue a stop work instruction to suspend production and testing in the event that requirements of internal or external quality systems or procedures are not being met.
- Lead material and testing related development programmes.
- Measure and reduce test turn round time.
- Co-ordinating with manufacturing areas when carrying out any process related investigation
- Co-ordinating with internal and outside parties with regard to metallurgical development activities of the company
- To approve and sign reports which are required by our company approvals
- Manage and prioritise platform production release testing in conjunction with test and release team
- Manage the Metallurgical First Article Inspection and Periodic testing and report process
- Achieve budget
- Exploit opportunities to reduce external testing costs through cost competitiveness internal process
- Manage Laboratory team engagement in Nadcap special process audit and compliance activity
- Maintenance of Operator Skill Matrix for Laboratory function.
- Ensure Personnel are trained to and are capable of carrying out tasks stated in their job description and associated skills matrix
- Performance management
- Develop skill base and flexibility of Laboratory personnel
- KPI's / PI's to be maintained in line with accountabilities agreed at annual Performance and Development Review.