Are you a Senior Metallurgist with a background driving consistent standards and performance improvements within the Aerospace sector? If so, a Midlands based organisation who design, manufacture, and assemble precision forged and machined components are looking for you!
As the Senior Metallurgist, you will be furnished with the authority and resources to perform the duties within the scope of their responsibilities within the Laboratory structure. This includes implementing, maintaining and improving the management system. The successful candidate will be accountable for the flow down of internal and external material and material process related requirements.
The Senior Metallurgist will have the following responsibilities:
- Manage areas of the laboratory team of circa 20 heads and operating budget of £500k
- Update and control of the Laboratory Manual and Laboratory Instructions aligned to respective areas of delegated responsibility.
- Promote improvements to existing Laboratory processes and facilities.
- To uphold the responsibilities of and ensure conformance by all Metallurgists and Technicians to all specifications, manuals, procedures, and instructions related to the Laboratory function.
- Control of test non-conformances and carrying out investigations into test failures.
- Co-ordinate with other departments to ensure that the best quality of service is maintained
- Provide technical input to forging design and heat treatment of New and Repeat Product Introductions.
- Present technical information to senior technical and senior executive colleagues
- To act as a source of advice and training for technicians, junior members of the laboratory and engineering in order to grow and develop technical talents.
- Liaison with customers on technical and production matters.
- Assist with specification review and implementation in the laboratory and the wider business.
- Support laboratory and site audit schedule.
- Creation of heat treatment data cards and loading plans.
- Participate and progress personal objectives to aid continuous improvement throughout the business.
- Ensure personnel continue to meet the company's health and safety and environmental requirements.
Skills required or the Senior Metallurgist:
- Degree in materials science or metallurgy
- Knowledge of steel, titanium and/or aluminum alloy forging/heat treatment
- Good general IT skills and working knowledge of Word, Excel & Outlook
- Health and Safety awareness in a manufacturing environment
- Knowledge of aerospace quality requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Beneficial but not essential
- Experience using metal forming/forging simulation software (e.g. QForm)
- Knowledge of aerospace manufacturing
- Hardness, conductivity and/or NDT experience
- Chemical processing for aerospace applications knowledge or experience
- Knowledge of tooling material selection for forging applications
- Working towards or achieved Chartered Engineer Status
The Senior Metallurgist role offers a strong benefits package combined with a highly competitive salary.
If you would like to know more, please apply or contact Neil Cayley on 07527257851 or email