The West Midlands Growth Company helps create new jobs. Build and expand businesses. Attract regional investment and encourage tourism.
The Senior Business Development Manager will take the lead on developing and delivering a focused domestic and international business development strategy to drive inward investment into the region in the Business, Professional & Financial Services (BPFS) sector.
What will you do:
- Work across the West Midlands region and nationally with occasional international travel to showcase the West Midlands offer in key overseas markets.
- Work with the Head of Inward Investment and the Head of Strategic Business Development to plan and deliver a comprehensive plan of BPFS business development activity.
- Generate and manage a pipeline of inward investment enquiries involving new and expansion projects with key measures around investment projects influenced/generated and secured, and associated new direct jobs created.
- Key relationships to be with external inward investment clients, business intermediaries, local, national and international industry sector and government bodies, public and private sector partners and stakeholders across the West Midlands.
- Identify and translate the strengths of, and opportunities within, the West Midlands, into a compelling value proposition to attract job creating investment within the Business, Professional & Financial Services (BPFS) sector, from key global and domestic investment markets.
- Develop and implement a focused business development and marketing strategy to promote BPFS inward investment in the region, with the objective of securing successful new investment and the expansion of existing employers in line with the West Midlands Growth Company's key service level agreements.
- Undertake planned marketing and lead generation activities both nationally and internationally (trade fairs, exhibitions etc) to showcase the regional West Midlands Combined Authority geography offer.
- Professional qualification, relevant degree, or equivalent experience
- Excellent communication / relationship management skills
- Excellent inter-personal and team working skills, and a proven ability to form partnerships, motivate, enthuse and drive individuals.
- Excellent communication and presentational skills, with the ability to communicate ideas, issues, systems and procedures successfully at all levels to a variety of audiences.
- Highly developed negotiating skills with the ability to influence investment decisions at the highest level.
- Demonstrable self-starter, capable of thriving in a fluid, results-driven environment.
- Proven line management capability.
- Deep understanding of the BPFS sector, including an up to date knowledge of key trends and the commercial drivers of organisations within the sector, in particular how these vary by sector and ownership structure.
- Experience of working in a multi-stakeholder / delivery partner environment.
- Excellent commercial awareness and able to build relationships with senior staff across the private and public sector.
- Significant experience of developing and executing successful business development strategies.