Birmingham, West Midlands
£35000 - £40000 per annum
4 months ago
Job title: Major Sporting Events Bid Manager
Contract: FTC - June 2021 - March 2023
Salary - up to £40,000 annually
Location: Birmingham - travel will be required.
If you are looking for an influential role that champions sport and growth across the West Midlands, this position could be for you.
We are pleased to be working with the West Midlands Growth Company exclusively, assisting with the hire of a Major Sporting Events Bid Manager.
The focus of this position is to help in the curation of a number of major sporting events across the West Midlands by 2027.
This is role will help shape and encourage sporting events across the West Midlands for years to come. The role will continue the economic growth of the Sport sector for the region, following the Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022.
This role will generate jobs and maximise legacy opportunities through a pipeline of national and international sporting events.
WMGC play a pivotal role in driving the West Midlands region forward. This is a unique opportunity to work for the region's Investment Promotion Agency, as it leverages the economic opportunities and global profile created by the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games to attract investment and bring prosperity to the region.
- Leading the sporting and major events programme reporting to the Senior Business Tourism Manager
- Overseeing lead generation and management - making full use of market research and intelligence to develop event leads to benefit sporting venues within the West Midlands region.
- Developing a proactive bid strategy and create and monitor a robust pipeline of potential business to ensure all relevant targets are met by required deadlines
- Sales Missions - Attend national and international events to raise the profile of and build a pipeline for Sport and Major events. Responsible for successful delivery of external events i.e. sales missions and educational visits.
- Industry development - ensure that WMGC develops strategic relationships with industry partners (regionally, nationally, and internationally) and represent WMGC and the destination at industry event forums
- Stakeholder partnership engagement - working closely with partners at venues from across the West Midlands area to develop sporting and event bids in line with the strategy.
- Management of procurement processes including tendering for services to deliver the required project activity, managing these contracts and working alongside the contracted service where necessary to manage project-specific deliverables.
- Management of the creation and production of marketing (print and digital) collateral process. Liaise across teams with marketing specialists to ensure the region is equipped with a robust and market leading portfolio of promotional materials.
- Close work with internal teams to achieve successful outcomes in the following areas: business attraction, marketing and communications, research, monitoring and evaluation.
- Report against key milestones, deliverables and outputs, providing evidence as required by to receive funding.
- Professional qualification, relevant degree, or equivalent experience within the sporting and major event management industry
- Excellent communication / relationship management skills
- Some experience or knowledge of working within a commercial sales environment generating pipelines, setting targets and the successful delivery of KPIs
- Understanding of the bid process and how destinations are selected for major sporting events.
- Working in a multi-stakeholder / delivery partner environment
- Good product and sector knowledge of the West Midlands region
- Project Management experience
- Procurement and contract management experience