3 months ago
Laboratory Operations Manager - Permanent - Engineering - Hereford
Are you an Operations Manager with an understanding of laboratory operations to include machining, manufacturing, mechanical testing, heat treatment and calibration? If so, a Globally successful manufacturing business based in the Hereford area is looking for you!
As the Laboratory Operations Manager, you will be responsible for the first line management of the Laboratory Team, ensuring that safety, operational and quality procedures are followed throughout the facility. You will supervise the activities of staff and hourly rated employees performing operations and processes in accordance with procedures to provide laboratory machining and metal working services, release and contract testing, and other laboratory services.
***NOTE*** We are interested in speaking with people who have strong operational experience combined with effective management skills whereby you will supervise a number of departments.
The Laboratory Operations Manager will have the following responsibilities:
- Supervises staff assigned to the activities above, assisted by the Coordinators and Team Leaders.
- Plans and progresses the workload of the Laboratory, using tools such as the TOC lines and
- Work-To lists, working with Coordinators and Team Leaders to achieve adherence to schedules and accommodate agreed priorities, referring when necessary to General Manager.
- Identifies and makes recommendations where improvements and economies can be made, such as new or modified working practices.
- Investigates the introduction of new equipment with potential for automation and improvements in labour efficiency.
- Ensures that machines, plant and equipment are kept in good working order and that all measuring and other appropriate equipment is calibrated.
- Maintains safe and efficient working conditions and practices, including housekeeping, care of tools and equipment, issue and proper use of safety equipment and arranging disposal of scrap material in accordance with procedures.
- Ensures within practical limits, that equipment, processes and manpower are used in a way that conform to Company safety policies and legislative requirements. Investigates dangerous occurrences and/or accidents as soon as possible after the event and provides factual and objective reports to Management.
- Is involved in the technical negotiations with suppliers to the machine shop and laboratories as appropriate, assisted by the Coordinators and/or Team Leaders.
Skills required for the Laboratory Operations Manager:
- Strong managerial background combined with a technical understanding.
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Ability to deliver requirements within demanding timescales.
- Demonstrates assertiveness, determination and perseverance.
- Self-motivator - able to set own goals and deliver against them.
- Enthusiastic and able to enthuse others.
- Experience of working in a Laboratory environment would be highly advantageous but an understanding of the environment will also be accepted.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work on your own initiative and as part of the management team.
If you would like to know more about the Laboratory Operations Manager role, please apply or contact Neil Cayley on 07527257851 or email