Heath and Safety Advisor
The company is a busy, purpose-built specialist referral-only animal veterinary hospital located in Cambridgeshire with over 400+ people.
It has state-of-the-art facilities, fully equipped with the surgical, diagnostic and hospitalisation facilities commensurate with a flagship specialist veterinary hospital and also has an on-site reference laboratory with both in-house clinical pathology and diagnostic histopathology. As part of their ongoing drive for excellence, they have a brand-new building underway, onsite that will create a truly world-class hospital.
They are now looking for a Health and Safety Advisor to manage all health and safety responsibilities on site near Fulbourn.
Responsibilities of the Health and Safety Advisor will include:
- Strategically overseeing the Health and Safety operations across the Organisation and promoting best practice with all members of staff and members of the public
- Producing and overseeing all the risk assessments, with collaboration from the clinical teams.
- Producing and overseeing all COSHH risk assessment, with collaboration from the clinical teams.
- Producing and overseeing the producing of Permits to Work.
- Managing visitor and contractors while on site, with the support of the site Facilities Manager.
- Coordinating fire safety, including, system monitoring and fire evacuation drills
- Leading on audits of the site and maintaining/improving Health and Safety plans
- Arranging and delivering core in-house Health and Safety Training across the business as required
- Undertaking regular reviews of action plans in respect of Health, Safety compliance audits, Fire Risk Assessments or Enforcing Authority visits/intervention.
- Ensuring the development of emergency procedures and management emergencies (e.g. fires, no hot water, power cuts, flood)
- Management of IRR (Ionizing Radiation Regulations) enforcement visits, and ensuring the business stays compliant with these requirements.
- Management of PPE policy and controls, including fit testing where required.
- Identifying areas of the practice which fall under the requirements of the Control of Noise at Work Regulations, and ensuring all suitable controls are in place.
- Engaging key internal and external stakeholders ensuring the vision for health and safety is communicated and implemented through the supply chain.
- Providing technical support to key decision makers and influencing the projects to ensure health and safety is at the forefront of decision making particularly at the design phase.
- Leading on the creation and implementation of health and safety initiatives at the practice.
- Leading on the relationship with external stakeholders such as the HSE and other regulatory bodies.
- To lead, manage and promote a positive Health And Safety culture.
- Supporting the delivery and implementation of the Health And Safety Strategy across the Group
- Supporting the investigation of accidents and incidents within their area of responsibility, and making recommendations in order to prevent a re-occurrence.
- Providing advice and support to Clinical Directors and Practice Mangers.
- Attendance and presentation of subject matter at Group wide Update/CPD meetings.
- Review of statutory inspections (i.e. Pressure vessels, LOLER, PUWER, Asbestos, Electricity at Work, Legionella Management) within their areas of responsibility.
The successful Health and Safety Advisor will have:
- Proven health, safety experience.
- Either be a Chartered Environmental Health Practitioner, or, hold a NEBOSH Diploma (or equivalent) in health and safety, and Chartered Member of IOSH
- Relevant Fire Risk qualifications (Desirable)
- Excellent communications skills with proven experience of engaging with a range of stakeholders
This is a very unique oportunity within an organisation who offer flexibilty in the role from full time to part time in addition to hybrid working. If this is of interest to you then please apply.