Heath and Safety Advisor
Hours: 40hr Monday - Friday (with flexibility of OOH)
The company is a busy, purpose-built specialist referral-only animal veterinary hospital located in Cambridgeshire with over 400+ people.
It has state-of-the-art facilities, fully equipped with the surgical, diagnostic and hospitalisation facilities commensurate with a flagship specialist veterinary hospital and also has an on-site reference laboratory with both in-house clinical pathology and diagnostic histopathology. As part of their ongoing drive for excellence, they have a brand-new building underway, onsite that will create a truly world-class hospital.
They are now looking for a Health and Safety Advisor to manage all health and safety responsibilities on site near Fulbourn.
Responsibilities of the Health and Safety Advisor will include:
- Strategically overseeing the Health and Safety operations across the Organisation and promoting best practice with all members of staff and members of the public
- Producing and overseeing all the risk assessments, with collaboration from the clinical teams.
- Producing and overseeing all COSHH risk assessment, with collaboration from the clinical teams.
- Producing and overseeing the producing of Permits to Work.
- Managing visitor and contractors while on site, with the support of the site Facilities Manager.
- Coordinating fire safety, including, system monitoring and fire evacuation drills
- Leading on audits of the site and maintaining/improving Health and Safety plans
- Arranging and delivering core in-house Health and Safety Training across the business as required
- Undertaking regular reviews of action plans in respect of Health, Safety compliance audits, Fire Risk Assessments or Enforcing Authority visits/intervention.
- Ensuring the development of emergency procedures and management emergencies (e.g. fires, no hot water, power cuts, flood)
- Management of IRR (Ionizing Radiation Regulations) enforcement visits, and ensuring the business stays compliant with these requirements.
- Management of PPE policy and controls, including fit testing where required.
- Identifying areas of the practice which fall under the requirements of the Control of Noise at Work Regulations, and ensuring all suitable controls are in place.
- Engaging key internal and external stakeholders ensuring the vision for health and safety is communicated and implemented through the supply chain.
- Providing technical support to key decision makers and influencing the projects to ensure health and safety is at the forefront of decision making particularly at the design phase.
- Leading on the creation and implementation of health and safety initiatives at the practice.
- Leading on the relationship with external stakeholders such as the HSE and other regulatory bodies.
- To lead, manage and promote a positive Health And Safety culture.
- Supporting the delivery and implementation of the Health And Safety Strategy across the Group
- Supporting the investigation of accidents and incidents within their area of responsibility, and making recommendations in order to prevent a re-occurrence.
- Providing advice and support to Clinical Directors and Practice Mangers.
- Attendance and presentation of subject matter at Group wide Update/CPD meetings.
- Review of statutory inspections (i.e. Pressure vessels, LOLER, PUWER, Asbestos, Electricity at Work, Legionella Management) within their areas of responsibility.
The successful Health and Safety Advisor will have:
- Proven health, safety experience.
- Either be a Chartered Environmental Health Practitioner, or, hold a NEBOSH Diploma (or equivalent) in health and safety, and Chartered Member of IOSH
- Relevant Fire Risk qualifications (Desirable)
- Excellent communications skills with proven experience of engaging with a range of stakeholders