£75000 - £83000.00 per annum + Bens & bonus
2 months ago
The Head of Accounting, Compliance and Governance is responsible for managing overall accounting governance for the UK network, ensuring complete compliance with accounting standards, corporate policy and internal controls. The role focuses on ensuring that all Finance corporate policies, external accounting standards (IFRS) and internal controls are in place and adhered to, minimising business risk and the risk of reputational damage due to failure to comply. It has overall responsibility for the accuracy and quality of the company's Balance Sheet.
The role operates as the business interface with specialist corporate functions such as Tax, Treasury, Pensions, Risk, Procurement, Legal, Audit, Financial Shared Services and with external parties such as auditors, statutory institutions, the post holder is required to maintain effective working relationships with these departments to ensure suitable governance processes are in place and maintained.
The role has responsibility for management of control-related system implementations and upgrades
Continuous improvement is key to the role, continuously checking controls and identifying gaps and areas for improvement.
Specific Role Challenges (key focus areas/challenges expected for post holder)
- The role faces occasional cross-functional conflict, where control processes and systems may be considered a hindrance to business growth
- Integrity of Balance Sheet requires management of remote Financial Shared Services
- Direct, supervise and motivate team members (3x FTE)
- Ensure resource levels within the team are maintained, following the correct recruitment processes where required.
- Display passion for the business, lead and motivate others
- Determine the optimal roles, performance targets and goals for the team, ensuring team members are aware of this and managed against set targets appropriately
- Reward initiative, promote talent, and rotate staff within the team to expand and enhance cross functional knowledge.
- Provide coaching to team members to support their professional development
- Work closely with and leverage the skills of the shared Centre of Excellence team
- Acts as the bridge between corporate functions and the business, ensuring compliance with all internal policies and all relevant external legislation and accounting standards.
- Manages financial control systems implementation and upgrades
- Complete timely filing of statutory accounts, clean external and internal audits, high level of compliance with internal controls
- Plan, organize and execute timetable of events such as audits, Balance Sheet reviews, internal control reviews, scheduled meetings with corporate functions and external parties
- Manage events and projects to key milestones and targets.
- Present updates to CFO and, where relevant, UK Management Board
Skills / Capabilities / Education
- Expert knowledge of both internal finance policies and external accounting standards
- Proven problem solving and analytical skills
- High levels of initiative
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to targets
- Strong influencing skills, using 21st Century Management behaviours
- Ability to interact at most senior levels within the organisation and with external parties
- High degree of literacy and numeracy
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of complex ERP systems and processes
- Educated to degree level
- ACA, ICAEW qualified ( 3+ years PQE)