£70000.00 - £70500.00 per annum + Benefits
about 2 months ago
Scope of role
The role encompasses responsibility for all financial processes and controls, working with a team of 13, and reports to the Head of Finance. The main areas of focus are:
- Develop internal controls; identify and address gaps, and provide a comprehensive and effective control environment.
- Ensuring integrity and robustness of balance sheet figures underpinned by properly documented reconciliations and working papers.
- To streamline processes and impose disciplines, to enable the monthly close to be completed more consistently and quickly.
- To cover compliance requirements supported by process driven outputs, for example VAT and other operational tax requirements.
Currently, for historic reasons, certain processes sit with other parts of the Finance function which do not report into this role; part of the remit will be to create the space/capability to allow these processes to be brought under the remit of the Financial Process Controller.
Once the initial phase has been completed, bringing basic processes/controls etc. up to an acceptable standard, there will be continued scope for development within the role. The systems environment needs to evolve and, as other parts of the business progress on their own modernisation journeys, the demands on finance will change - the role will continue to offer the opportunity to change and develop.
Fully qualified accountant, preferably ACCA.
Operational process and control experience is more important than sharp end technical knowledge; the ideal candidate will be likely to have an industry rather than professional practice background.
At least 10 years' relevant finance experience in industry, having worked through junior roles to more senior positions with demonstrable progress within each role.
Experience should have been gained in medium sized businesses or multi-site experience is useful but is not essential.
A determined and persistent "operator" who is practical and gets things done and, whilst tactful, will not take no for an answer in the pursuit of making improvements.
Specific areas of focus
- Lead, drive and nurture a team of 13 colleagues, supporting their development.
- Use own experience alongside inputs from colleagues and third parties (e.g. internal and external audit) to prioritise work plan for the team. Revenue to cash reconciliation processes, cost of sales postings and stock, are likely to be areas of high priority for the short/medium term.
- Develop close links with relevant colleagues in other areas of the business to ensure that financial controls in those areas are appropriate, effective, and operating properly, for example,
- Working with the Buying and Imports functions to drive improvements to controls over product costing, and improve visibility with regard to the quantum and timing of stock payments.
- Working with a newly appointed Profit Protection Manager to provide greater visibility over, and improve accuracy of, stock records.
- Drive improvements to financial ledger system, developing effective way of working with third party supplier to bring about improvements, liaising with internal IT team.
- Via the team, provide supporting documentation for the annual audit process.
- Ensuring that appropriate detail is available to support financial statement disclosures and monthly management accounts analysis and commentaries prepared by other colleagues.
Salary - £70,000 - £75,000 plus benefits.