Experienced, ACA and hands on Financial Director sought for this pre-revenue but heavily backed technical innovator.
This is a outstanding opportunity to join and develop a unique business.
This is a senior leadership role within the company and reporting into a CFO.
The role allows significant potential for further professional growth and development. It includes a wide range of finance and commercial leadership activities and the company secretarial role.
It requires regular and close collaboration with the technical, operational, commercial and business development teams. In particular, the Finance Director will be a close business partner of the CFO, head of HR and team leads.
They will ensure the highest ethical business standards and procedures are upheld, while all financial risk management, control and reporting across the platform remain robust.
Main duties/role and responsibilities
- Oversee management of all financial outputs, ensuring strategic and reporting alignment and transparency, appropriate prioritisation, robust quality and timely delivery.
- Ensure timely and accurate financial reporting, budgeting and cashflow forecasting in respect of all projects and operations, to executive management, the Board and shareholders.
- Lead and develop the finance team, ensuring suitable professional development and mentoring, to support a high performance, ethical, results-based delivery culture.
- Collaborate with technical, commercial, human resources, external relations and operational stakeholders across the business, ensuring finance remains a fully integrated business function.
- Develop and embed further focus on financial control and rigorous expenditure management, balanced with the agility to support an evolving, multi-programme R&D business.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining robust application of internal financial ERP systems, controls and processes to support operational activities and funding requirements.
- Design and deliver financial control enhancements, including accurate time recording of technical time, costing of labour into programmes, process documentation (finance processes and wider business), and delivery of documented accounting procedures.
- Design and implement project/joint venture reporting and cost control to support internal and external collaboration structures.
- Maintain and lead cost control, cashflow forecasting and rigorous financial approval processes for large commitments, contracts and tenders/bids, for private/public funding and programmes.
- Responsible for all external reporting, including statutory financial statements (and audit process), and statutory compliance returns, for all group entities.
- Supervise and ensure effective financial risk management processes, including treasury, tax, reporting, liquidity (cashflow forecasting) and statutory reporting.
- Design, lead and deliver cross-functional development projects (e.g. collaboration with HR / Purchasing / Programme Management).
- Support fundraising activities through recording of capital structure (including associated documentation), delivery and maintenance of share option (and other) incentive awards, in partnership with HR, as required.
- Manage and ensure appropriate coverage of all business related insurance, tax compliance, risk management, reporting and applications for R&D tax credits.
- Support the budgeting, financial recording, auditing and reporting of all grant/public sector funded programmes.
- Undertake all elements of Company Secretary role, including: legal and regulatory compliance for all group entities
- Proven experience of leading and developing a high-performance finance reporting and risk management team, in an R&D/technical operating environment.
- Qualified Accountant: ACA, with >10yrs post qualified experience.
- Stakeholder management - ability to collaborate across the business at all levels and to manage conflicting requirements from senior stakeholders. Excellent communication, finance presentation, programme and issues management skills.
- Technical accounting ability - ability to resolve complex financial reporting issues and deliver timely and accurate financial reporting to support various collaboration arrangements (joint venture/research collaborations/grant funded programmes). Includes strong expenditure management and cost allocation skills across multiple programmes.
- Strong budgeting and cashflow forecasting skills, to support business/strategic planning.
- Strong risk management capability across treasury, liquidity management, anti-bribery and corruption, tax, procurement and banking/payments.
- Experienced with company secretarial, UK Companies House regulatory and UK corporate governance requirements would be highly beneficial.