Bonus, Pension, Options*
4 months ago
Gleeson Recruitment Group are working exclusively with Tokamak Energy in the recruitment of a Financial Controller to support the ambitious growth plans of the organisation.
The world needs a clean and reliable source of base-load energy. That's what we're striving to achieve at Tokamak Energy. Our route to fusion power is unique. We are taking established science and building on it by pioneering the use of spherical tokamaks in conjunction with high temperature superconductors (HTS).
Fusion - the energy source that powers the sun - is globally accepted as the best way to generate plentiful, safe, secure and clean energy. The tokamak is the most heavily researched and best understood of all the different paths to fusion.
It is now acknowledged that the spherical tokamak design offers the smallest and most cost-effective solution. This is our solution. Yet there are many complex engineering challenges that need to be overcome for demonstration and commercialisation of this technology. Our team of world-class fusion scientists and magnet engineers are tackling these challenges to develop efficient and affordable fusion power. Our unique approach is centred on rapid innovation using the latest materials and technology - but building on decades of scientific research and experience. This strategy gives us - and the world - a faster way to fusion.
Once fusion electricity is achieved, our scalable technology could be rolled out across the world as a solution to one of humanity's greatest challenges: clean and sustainable energy for all.
Tokamak Energy has a bold vision and requires an outstanding team to deliver it.
Overview of the role
This business-critical role reports to the FD and will lead a dedicated finance team. The successful candidate will be key in helping the team navigate the challenges faced by a growing and ambitious business, whilst continuing to embed the Finance team as a value-add department within the business. The business anticipates continued future growth, increased funding, increasing statutory compliance and internal reporting requirements and this role is key is building the financial infrastructure to capitalise upon and respond to these future changes.
The role is a wide-ranging and varied and includes responsibility for Group and Company statutory reporting, internal management and project reporting, financial controls, cashflow management and tax (and other) compliance. The Financial Controller will engage regularly with senior level stakeholders, whilst also working closely with their team to coach and facilitate delivery. They will also be responsible for building the team to facilitate continued improvement across several finance areas in order to support the business in its bold goals.
- Lead the existing finance team of 2 direct reports (and 2 indirect reports)
- Expand capability depth of the team, through recruitment for 2022 onwards and training of existing team
- Lead and be responsible for delivering and developing the following areas:
- Group and Company external reporting - including audit and statutory requirements for subsidiaries (inc.US)
- Internal reporting - including project and grant reporting
- Budgeting and forecasting process and outputs
- Cashflow forecasting and treasury management
- Internal financial processes, controls and control environment
- Tax compliance
- Programme costs for our next tokamak devices
- Group payroll process
Ideally you will be an ACA qualified accountant (Big 4 preferred but Top 10 considered) with significant industry experience, capable of leading the Finance team and contributing to the strategic thinking of the business.
- Industry experience with listed entities (3-5 yrs PQE)
- Ability to lead, develop and grow the Finance team
- Strong technical accounting background/experience (IFRS)
- Strong cashflow management skills
- Strong budgeting, forecasting and project reporting experience
- Proven track record in tax compliance (R&D tax credit experience is advantageous)
- Track record of internal control and process development (SOX experience is advantageous)
- Strong experience in accounting software & ERP packages
- Experience in high technology, high capex environments is beneficial
- Work with integrity, delivery focus and accountability
- An interest in our mission
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- * Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years' service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
- Cycle to work scheme