Bonus, Pension, Flexi bens
5 months ago
JOB TITLE: Financial Controller
REPORTS TO: Finance Director
SALARY: £70,000 - £80,000 including bonus
LOCATION: Essex / some UK travel
Company; My client is a £40m division of an AIM listed nationwide support services business.
Recent growth has been driven organically and through acquisition and this role reporting into the Financial Director is required to provide improvement to existing processes, controls and governance.
This is a superb opportunity for an ambitious, fully qualified candidate to manage a small team (3), lead on business critical projects as well as ensuring robust financial controls.
The successful candidate will be fully qualified accountant with PQE experience gained ideally from a listed company.
The Financial Controller will act as the "right hand" to the Finance Director and will assist in ensuring the finance department is aligned to the needs of the business.
The Financial Controller is specifically responsible for the day-to-day management of the financial operations & control function of the department. This role is highly visible within the organisation and a great opportunity for an individual looking for a challenging, rewarding and varied position. The Financial Controller will immediately be required to improve processes and document controls and policies, ensuring the business is ready for its growth trajectory.
- To take ownership for all aspects in day to day management of the operational finance team, including management accounts, accounts receivable and accounts payable
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to strengthen and maintain and internal controls
- Evaluate and manage risk - highlighting any concerns to senior management
- Oversee monthly management accounts process including production of key business KPI's and reporting to head office, with accuracy to an extremely high level
- Preparation of the monthly board packs for the Directors (including commentary against variances, KPI's, insights and trend analysis) and full balance sheet reconciliations
- Manage all audit deliverables through to production of statutory signed accounts
- Oversee and improve customer invoicing processes, including self bill routines and analysis
- Assist with annual budgeting process
- Monitor capital expenditure against budget
- Provide leadership, coaching and motivation to an established but inexperienced finance team, including regular appraisals, objective settings and improvement plans
- Produce ad-hoc reporting as and when required
- Oversee VAT return process
- Oversee Intrastat / EC Sales submissions
- Ensure that financial systems are fit for purpose and implement continuous upgrades / development plans so they keep pace with the Company's growth
- Integrate acquisitions
- Keep up to date with accounting standards to ensure compliance
- Deputise for the Finance Director when required
Qualifications & Experience:
- Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA) with minimum 5 years PQE
- Demonstrable experience of dealing with large volumes of data
- Experience managing audits and producing statutory financial statements
- Must have previously led a team of 8+ staff
- Strong communication, negotiation and influencing abilities (written & verbal)
- Advanced Excel skills and accounts system administration
- Excellent organisation and planning skills with the ability to work to strict deadlines whilst maintaining the quality and accuracy of the work
- Must have a hands-on approach
- Provide examples of managing risk and changing policies/procedures to do so
- New system implementation would be highly advantageous
Competencies and Behaviours
- Motivated to create an environment of continuous improvement
- Strong analytical mind with attention to detail
- Takes ownership of tasks and can work autonomously
- Encourages teamwork and can delegate tasks appropriately
- Compliance and governance oriented
- Robust complaint handling & resolution skills
- Customer & service focused