£55000 - £65000.00 per annum + Bens
2 months ago
Senior Finance Business Partner
Portsmouth (2 days / 3 days wfh)
Reporting to: Financial Controller
My client is a transformational training programme with a strategic goal of modernising Royal Navy training to deliver "better trained sailors to the front line quicker". My client has consolidated many legacy contracts and in-house service provision into a single coherent training delivery mechanism. My client's focus is to prioritise the quality and improvement of RN individual training outcomes through modernising the approach to training design and delivery through innovative solutions, underpinned by a deep collaborative working to enable operational success for the Royal Navy. As the prime contractor for the client, consortium in delivering this exciting and challenging major programme over 12 years.
This role is ideal for an ambitious individual who has the ability to progress to Financial Controller in the future. You must be able to control the end-to-end process from cost control, financial reporting and managing receipts from a single government agency. It would help to have previous experience in programme management and long-term contract accounting. It is an opportunity to build the financial processes and relationships needed to manage financial aspects of a defined division.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Accountability for delivering quality reports and analysis to both the Authority and Senior Leadership Team within the Business Unit.
- Distil detailed understanding of overall financial data to summarised key points .
- Management and maintenance of the P&L, balance sheet and cash flow positions using the various consolidation software tools with the Group.
- Through effective business partnering with relevant budget holders, produce and understand the monthly forecast. It is essential to ensure all movements are fully explainable and justifiable.
- Review and challenge budget holders with key emphasis on cost management, benefits tracking and earned value analysis.
- Ensure all revenue and cost deferrals/accruals are recorded, calculated correctly and managed so as to minimise risk.
- Present timely monthly reports and variance analysis that is meaningful and robust.
- Ensure effective cash management, invoices are raised in a timely manner in adherence to the provisions of the contract; and supplier invoices are reviewed and paid within the relevant contractual terms.
- Work with the business to produce an annual business plan and ensure handshakes are in place with all intercompany transactions within The Group.
- Ensure all financial controls within the business are adhered to. Highlight areas for increased controls, generate business 'buy in' and implement additional controls as necessary.
- Risk analysis on the P&L both formally through the monthly reporting cycle and informally through relationships built within the senior management team.
- Provide support for reporting the financial impacts of any price performance mechanism.
- Ensure adherence to financial obligations in the agreement (e.g. indexation, cost certificates, open book requirements).
- Deputise for Financial Controller when required.
- Provide coaching and mentorship to team members.
- Providing information and advice to assist in making key financial decisions.
- Ensuring group policies and accounting standards are followed.
- Support both Internal and External Audit activities.
Additionally, Business Partnering Activity:
- Champions the adoption of safe working practices across the My client enterprise and a 'just culture'.
- Develops an excellent collaborative working relationship with key internal and external counterpart.
- Leads in the establishment of excellent relationships with all external assurance stakeholders.
- Advocates continual quality improvement across the organisation.
- Plays an integral team-member role in the My client teams.
- Supports capture of My client growth opportunities.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Successful candidates will be required to obtain SC clearance which can be submitted through the Group
- Qualified (ACA/ACCA/CIMA) accountant.
- Ability to present to senior leaders
- High level of business acumen.
- Excellent Excel, written and oral communication skills.
- Strong customer service both to the internal business unit and the external customer.
- Good ability to work well and methodically in a demanding environment.
- Team player with genuine enthusiasm to contribute to an open and collaborative culture.
- Able to use initiative (and advice of others) to identify new solutions.
- Ability to manage own workload and prioritise effectively.
- Ability to influence decision-making process through clear presentation of financials.
- Ability to work to and meet deadlines.
- Ready to take on more responsibilities as role develops.
Intellectual curiosity to bring external and internal insights to the business. This role will be interacting with delivery partners, employees from across the business, the client's commercial functions as well as our own corporate finance teams.
- Experience working on large complex contracts with a significant impact from IFRS15.
- Experience with SAP as the core accounting system.
- Experience implementing process improvements
- Project management skills or qualifications