Are you an experienced Project Manager? Do you enjoy both the planning and delivering aspect of project management? I am pleased to be supporting the West Midlands Growth Company with their requirement for a Special Projects Manager to support the Head of Strategic Business Development.
The West Midlands Growth Company helps the region make its mark nationally and internationally. Through investor attraction, regional marketing and tourism promotion, the WMGC showcases and supports the best of the West Midlands, driving the regional economy forward. The company works with a range of partners and stakeholders - including hundreds of major regional businesses, the public sector, universities, and regional and national government.
The Special Projects Manager will play a key role in facilitating the success of the West Midlands Growth Company during this exciting period. Working closely with the Head of Strategic Business Development, the successful candidate will take on a dynamic and influential role with a range of diverse deliverables. These will range from project managing defined components of the Inward Investment workstream of the Commonwealth Games Business and Tourism programme, through to leading on initiatives that deliver innovation and change within Growth Company's business development functions and improve the organisation's ability to attract and convert job-creating inward investment projects within the West Midlands region.
Main responsibilities of the Special Projects Manager
- Work closely with colleagues and external partners to manage an array of small projects that will help to showcase the region and convert inward investment interest in the West Midlands, as part of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games Business & Tourism Programme.
- Provide programme management support to the Head of Strategic Business Development, to ensure that the Inward Investment Workstream of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games Business & Tourism Programme delivers the required outputs, whilst adhering to required governance.
- Support the Head of Strategic Business Development with reviewing, refreshing and enhancing Business Development processes and capabilities, to generate a strong pipeline of inward investment interest in the region.
- Play a leading operational and stakeholder-facing role in key strategic business development initiatives, including the West Midlands response to the UK Government's 'Beyond Whitehall' initiative, which seeks to relocate more than 22,000 civil service roles to UK regions during the next decade.
To succeed in the role, you'll need to:
- Manage time effectively to deliver positive outcomes in projects that will frequently run concurrently.
- Think commercially to find solutions to capitalise on novel opportunities and address complex challenges as they arise.
- Apply process, discipline and structure to new and existing projects and initiatives, to ensure the delivery of positive outcomes.
- Communicate in a compelling and persuasive manner to coordinate activity across project teams, frequently comprising a combination of internal colleagues and external partners and provide the operational horsepower to drive important projects forward.
- Play an active role in maintaining and developing relationships with key regional partner organisations, including but not limited to, the West Midlands Combined Authority and its constituent local authorities, private sector commercial partners of the West Midlands Growth Company and the leading Universities within the West Midlands region.
- Cultivate relationships with the regional and national intermediary organisations that influence inward investment decisions in key focus sectors, including management consulting firms, real estate professionals & state-operated trade and investment agencies, in the UK and beyond.
- Represent the organisation professionally at meetings and events and actively work to raise the profile of the West Midlands Growth Company with it's key shareholders and target audiences at all times.
To apply for the Special Projects Manager position, please click on the apply now button and your CV will be sent directly to the responsible recruiter. We will respond to successful applicants within 7 days, however please feel free to get in touch if you would like any further information about your application.