Gleeson Recruitment Group are working in partnership with West Midlands Growth Company, who are seeking Business Development Executive to join their Inward Investment Team.
The Business Development Executive will play a key role in facilitating the success of the West Midlands Growth Company's sector-focused Inward Investment team and wider investment division, in working together to execute a major international business development strategy, to capitalise on the profile that the Commonwealth Games will generate, with the aim of driving inward investment to the West Midlands and enhancing the reputation of the region as a place for global businesses to create employment and base business operations.
The role will provide a broad foundation in Inward and Foreign Direct Investment and familiarisation with the workings of a major Investment Promotion Agency, including specific focus on a couple of our target industry sectors: Advanced Manufacturing, Business, Professional & Financial Services, Creative, Digital & Tech, Life Sciences and Low Carbon. The role will have increasing exposure to client-facing responsibilities and potential opportunities for progression into a sector business development, account management or operational role for a high-performing candidate.
- Working across a couple of target sectors, supporting the Inward Investment team with planning and execution of key business development initiatives, including sales missions, hosted investor visits, and the progression of dynamic investment projects.
- Support the Head of Inward Investment with programme management of the West Midlands Combined Authority funded inward investment programme.
- Take the lead on the execution of all required procurement to deliver the wider team's business development activities, whilst remaining mindful of our obligations as a primarily public-funded organisation.
- Play a client-facing role in inward investment projects, eventually taking ownership for management of a number of SME inward investment projects.
- Work within and provide flexible, efficient and accurate operational support to the Inward Investment and wider investment division teams, as they deliver the Growth Company's inward investment strategy and drive inward investment to the West Midlands.
- Manage the delivery of the teams' key processes, including property searches, pipeline tracking and associated reporting. Contribute toward regular team meetings and propose new ideas and processes to improve efficiency of the team's delivery.
- Take ownership for maintaining, monitoring and accurately completing relevant project and programme documentation for all key strategic programmes that the Inward Investment and Strategic Business Development teams are actively involved in delivering.
- Provide a professional, knowledgeable and friendly first point of contact for all inbound enquiries into the Inward Investment team, received via both the 'Invest line' and the 'Invest Inbox'. Qualify the relevance of these inbound enquiries and accurately enlist the support of colleagues to ensure well-qualified investor prospects receive the support that they require.
- Play a supporting role with key partner organisations, to ensure a constant flow of communications, support and collateral, identifying their requirements, and supporting their activities and planning.
- Represent the organisation professionally at events and actively work to raise the profile of the West Midlands Growth Company and the region at all times.
- Collaborate with colleagues from the wider Inward Investment team, and the wider Growth Company team in a positive and constructive manner, to ensure delivery of the organisation's strategy, broader initiatives, and best practices.
Key Attributes Required:
- Highly organised, with good time management skills. Able to work to deadlines.
- Ability to exercise complete discretion when processing sensitive strategic/financial information.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Good IT skills, including experience of the full MS Office suite.
- Capable of clear, effective and persuasive communication with the aptitude and gravitas to play a key role in client-facing relationships.
- Commercially aware and able to think through and structure solutions to address a range of often intangible challenges.
- Positive, resilient and customer focused mind-set.
- Evidence of knowledge or interest in economic development, global current affairs and/or international trade.
- Seeking a high-performing graduate with evidenced ability to be effective from day one or a non-graduate professional with early evidence of exceptional performance in an operations or project support role within a business, public sector or professional services setting.